Sunday, December 5, 2010

Enjoying North Palm Beach and Lake Park, Florida

I had just settled down for a long winter's nap, when out on the deck there arose such a clatter, with bang and smashing on the side of boat, I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.Away to the port hole I flew like a flash, I tore open the curtain and threw up the sash. When, what to my wondering eyes should appear ....oops wrong story.  Fish were jumping and splashing everywhere. I thought at first that Ted had fallen overboard and was swimming around the boat.The same thing happened this morning. We managed to track the down the story from Ken the Dockmaster at the marina. Large fish know as Jacks come into the marina and case the smaller tarpon fish. The herd them and bang them against the docks and the hulls of boats.They splashed so much that the docks were all wet. It's a very strange thing. Those that don't get eaten get all banged up. It's very difficult to explain and hard to believe unless you see it with your own eyes.


The other wonderful thing yesterday was the Boat Parade of Lights. It started with the barge letting off fireworks at the head of the parade followed by 50 or 60 boats all lit up with Christmas lights. I was hoping that the parade would get me in the Christmas spirit but I am afraid that palm trees and warm weather just doesn't seem to get me in the Christmas mood. Although the stores are playing "Frosty the snowman" and all the traditional songs.

Yesterday we had dinner with old friends (there not really that old) who we met in the Bahamas in 2005 & 06. What a great time catching up and sharing stories. We arrived here at the marina a week ago today and have enjoyed a week of dock life but now is time to return to anchor in Lake Worth and await a window to cross. The weather still remain North and Northwest which as I have told you before is a no-no when crossing the Gulf Stream. Hopefully my next post will be from the Bahamas.

No comments: